Chronic overwork and burnout syndrome is a real problem of the 21st century that affects the lives of many people. How to understand if you have it and how to get rid of it?
The modern world is a crazy place, everyone is in constant motion. It is not surprising that many people feel tired from such an active rhythm of life. However, for some people, this fatigue oversteps and turns into chronic overwork and burnout. Let’s look at the reasons and solutions for this not uncommon problem.
Common Information about Chronic Overwork and Burnout
This problem is most often seen among people with incredibly demanding jobs. For example, people who have a huge number of employees, for each of whom they are responsible. According to statistics, chronic overwork occurs more often among women than men, and also among people between the ages of 40 and 59 years old.
The problem of chronic overwork and burnout is so serious that in 2019 even the World Health Organization added burnout syndrome to the WHO international classification of diseases. This statement will come into force on January 1, 2022. This decision was made due to the latest research. It indicates that 28% of working Americans are exposed to this disease, and among top managers, the indicator exceeds 54%. Considering that in the United States the working population includes more than half of all residents, the results of the research are more than serious.
Reasons for Chronic Overwork and Burnout
There are many things that can lead to chronic fatigue and burnout syndrome, including:
- disturbed nutrition;
- lack or excess of food;
- lack of vitamins, macronutrients, and micronutrients in food;
- psychological problems;
- constant stress;
- gloomy thoughts;
- feelings of anxiety and fear;
- improper lifestyles;
- regular lack of sleep;
- irrational daily routine;
- sedentary lifestyle;
- prolonged mental and physical overexertion;
- constant changes in biorhythms;
- problematic ecology.
As you can see, there are a lot of problems. Even a few items on this list can lead to this disorder.
Difference Between Chronic Overwork and Simple Fatigue
Many people mistakenly believe that they have chronic overwork and burnout. However, all doctors state that it is quite easy to understand the difference. If fatigue disappears after adequate sleep and rest, there is nothing to worry about. The pathological fatigue can last more than six months. The main symptoms are lack of strength and decreased ability to work.
How to understand whether you have chronic overwork and burnout
There are several ways to figure out whether you have this affliction without going to a specialist. The first one is fairly short and is based partly on the symptoms of early depression. The main thing to understand is, do you have feelings of exhaustion? To do this, ask yourself a few questions:
- Do I wake up tired even if I go to bed early?
- Do I move more slowly than usual? Do I need more time to get ready and get out of the house?
- Do I feel that even simple tasks at work require more energy than I am capable of expending?
The second one is more complicated, more precise. This method consists of two tests, which will take time.
- On weekends, forget about your work phone, e-mail, social networks, and even the Internet. Do something that pleases you: go to a club or on a picnic in the countryside, cook your favorite dish or allow yourself to spend the whole day lying on the couch with a book. On Monday, observe yourself. If work causes the same feeling of hopelessness, it means you have mild chronic overwork.
- Take a week off from work. The conditions are the same: no telephone, no work, no stress, and nervous tension. It is best to go out of town, spend time in nature, or go on a road trip. You can sleep right in the tent, for a feeling of unity with nature. And to make it more comfortable choose such a tent that gives you the best sleeping feeling. The dune roof top tent review will help you to make the right choice and select the tent that suits you. If after a week of no gadget rest you still do not want to go back to the office, you should contact a specialist or think about new job
What Can You Do to Cope with Chronic Overwork?
Of course, you can cope without medication and a change of job. Still, it is important to understand that chronic overwork syndrome interferes with the fullness of life: it reduces productivity and worsens the psychological state. To cope with the feeling of constant lack of energy, doctors recommend:
- streamline the ratio of work and rest;
- make a rational physical load;
- normalize the diet;
- carry out vitamin therapy, mainly B vitamins;
- massages, physical therapy, hydrotherapy (for example, swimming);
- rational psychotherapy, autogenic training, group psychotherapeutic methods.
Is There a Reason to Contact a Specialist?
There is always a reason to see a specialist. Any doctor will tell you that if you observe any unhealthy symptoms, it is better to go to the doctor. And they will be completely right.
If a doctor finds any symptoms of chronic overwork and burnout he will definitely create your personal treatment. In the case of such a disease, treatment should be psychological, because the main reason for it is in your mind. In addition, if you have work insurance, work that has provoked chronics overwork will pay for treatment.
A doctor, in addition to making a diagnosis, will also help you with treatment. The treatment itself in any case should be comprehensive. It should be not only physical but also psychological.