In the wake of the biggest gang bust in New York City history in the Bronx, NYPD Commissioner William Bratton and Homeland Security Secretary Jeh Johnson made a declaration yesterday that more raids are on the horizon. The two officials lauded the blitz on Thursday at a news conference that followed the “Leadership In Counter Terrorism” meeting. The three-day meeting was attended was attended by “About 300 top law enforcement and intelligence officers from police departments nationwide attended” along with law enforcement personnel from England, Scotland, Australia and Canada.
Earlier this week, 120 alleged Bronx gangbangers were rounded up by coalition including the NYPD, DEA, ATF, US Marshals and Homeland Security, in various housing projects. Among the apprehended were gang members accused of carrying out five killings, which includes the 2009 shooting death of 92-year-old Sadie Mitchell, in her home. Bratton says that 25 to 30 suspects who weren’t at home at the time of the raids are still sought. “Those in custody, who face federal racketeering charges, likely won’t make bail and will be more willing to give up the whereabouts of those still at large,” said Bratton, according Newsday.
Of the sweep, Johnson said that it “will go a long way to make the streets of the city safer,’’
“This is a major takedown where there is intelligence gathering. This is not a one shot affair,’’ said Bratton. “The message is loud and clear: We are coming and we are intensifying our efforts.’’