In 2019, around 3.6 million Britons preferred vaping. It is super easy to find vape juice in the UK. After all, who doesn’t want to quit smoking! While vaping is touted as an effective means to quit smoking, health researchers are still not so sure about it.
Moreover, many cases have shown that people are using it to inhale illicit drugs too. Black market suppliers provide banned substances in the vaping oils or the machine and this, in turn, is aiding the drug-addicts.
Let us see another figure. About 800 people in the USA have reported serious lung damage similar to inhaling industrial waste. All of them vape. About 75% have used marijuana-derived products in their e-liquid.
Vaping is not as safe as it is advertised. In the UK, distracted driving is the leading cause of road accidents. When you vape, you lose focus on the road. While there is no legal provision or rule that bans the use of e-cigarettes on the road, if vaping contributes to any road accident, then you may be held guilty.
Here are the things that you must know if you vape and are living or visiting the UK:
1. Go by the police’s guidelines: The UK police has issued a strict guideline for vapers. Here are the notable ones:
- Never vape while driving: Pullover your car and then vape. Vaping and driving can lead to distracted driving. Moreover, if you use banned substances or any kind of addictive substance, it can cloud your mind. So, it is always better to refrain from vaping while driving.
- Open all the windows: Vape pods especially those made illegally contain vitamin E acetate. Upon heating, it produces a toxic gas ketene. At lower concentrations, it can cause eye and lung irritation and affect the CNS. Long exposure can be lethal. So, it is best to keep all the windows open to let this gas escape.
- Say no to group vaping: We have already mentioned the toxicity of gases released in vaping. The danger manifolds when you vape in a group. Always avoid vaping with your friends inside a closed car.
- Say concentrated on the road: Vaping has introduced some dangerous trends. One of them is cloud chasing. It leads to rash driving. Also, you should keep your focus on the road. Don’t’ try to change the vape pod settings or experiment with it while driving.
2. Penalties: If you fail to adhere to the guidelines and are found indulged in any road accident, these are the penalties:
- A fine that could extend up to £2,500
- Points on your license, usually 3 to 9
- License cancellation after repeated offenses.
Vaping is the alternative to smoking. However, the catchy cloud formation with it has led to some dangerous trends. Also, many people use illicit drugs to get high using vaping oils. In such a situation, it is important to be self- vigilant to keep the road safe for others.